Sunday, December 4, 2011

Oh, what fun it is....

T'is the season to decorate the halls

I enjoy decorating for Christmas.  Got out my three boxes with most of my decorations in them, started dusting the shelfs, and putting the items up to display.  We have three bookshelves as we love books, and it doesn't look like that is going to change in the near future.  Not only are the bookshelves for housing the books, but I also like to place small paintings and pottery on the shelves.  I'm a very visual person, and I enjoy design and pattern and color.  So,....as I was taking items out of the boxes, I thought...hm...why don't I create a painting of a few of my Christmas items.

 Some things just never grow old. 

My sister-in-law brought this for me one Christmas season a long time ago.  And I just really enjoy this little snowman.  He's only out of the box for a few short weeks, but he is a welcome guest at Christmas time.

He was fun to paint!  A challenge, but fun!

I find that I gravitate towards folk art when it comes to decorating our house.  I tend to be drawn to the handmade or at least it looks handmade.  I like things that are not perfect, and things that have some whimsy to them. 



 I couldn't tell you where I got this little horn.  I also have a larger one. 

It's shiny and brassy and doesn't blow a single note of music, but it has become one of the standards in our Christmas decorating.  Probably because I love Christmas carols, and of course, you have to have something that reflects the music of Christmas. 

You would think that this would be easy to paint.  Not so much...

I don't think that it is as interesting as snowman, but it has it's place of honor.




I am not an angel collector, but I do have four from the Willow collection.  I believe that is what it is called.  I like the hand carved, simple design of the figures.  And I like those wire wings, go figure?

Last year, I was getting ready for work, putting on my coat and I slung my scarf around my neck and it caught one of the angels on the shelf, it went flying across the room.  Who says angels can't fly?  Ended up decapating the poor little figure, but some glue and a clamp and she was as good as ever.  She just has a scar at the base of her neck.  She has history!

Those four little angels are always part of the decorating. 

Hope that you enjoy your preparation time for the holidays....it always makes the house feel cheery and warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home